Powered By Blogger

Link Back To Me By Using This Logo On Your Blog Or Website

Link Back To Me By Using This Logo On Your Blog Or Website

ESPN Ohio State Widget

This Week's Schedule of Games

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

10 Ohio State At Illinois Preview

I understand that Illinois (5-5) might be considered a disappointment to the rest of the college football world, but for some reason, that team always has a chip on its shoulder when the Buckeyes come calling.

Could be that before the Big Ten instituted a rotating schedule, Illinois was one the Buckeyes' main rivals.

You may be familiar with the Illibuck tradtion that chronicles this rivalry's history. Well, the previous game's winner keeps the wooden turtle until the next meeting.

Unfortunately Illinois has the trophy, and they have no plans on giving it back anytime soon.

You see, Ron Zook always feels the need to prove a point against the Buckeyes, and he did so last year as he guided his team to an upset of then-No.1 in the Horseshoe. The Zooker again wants to prove that his team, which is batting 500 on the season, really is better than advertised.

I can't say that I blame him. Ohio State clearly underestimated Juice Williams and company last season. The Illini play for pride, and it's clear they wake up for Ohio State.

I'll be honest--this is just one of those teams I simply cannot stand. I don't care for Zook, and I don't like the way that team carries itself under his direction. About the only thing I like about the Fighting Illini is that their school is mighty close to that toddlin' town, Chicago.

I have good reason to hold a grudge against them; but, I'm fair enough, as always to give them credit. They outplayed the Bucks last year and deserved to win even with that questionable fumble.

My grudge also stems from the 2002 encounter when the Illini almost derailed Ohio State's championship season, and a deja vu 2006 matchup in which they almost prevented the Buckeyes from reaching the Game of the Century with that team to the north.

For some reason, these cats (in recent years) only seem to play with fire against Ohio State. They didn't when the Buckeyes dismantled them three years ago, but I expect them to come at us full force this year--especially with a neat quarterback battle to watch.

This is a must-win game for Ohio State if it has any hope to gain another Big Ten crown and possible BCS bowl berth. Illinois could be fighting for its postseason life, too.

That 28-21 loss last year eats at me more than it should any normal football fan, but I can't lie and say it left a great taste in my mouth. I don't want to have another helping this year.
The Buckeyes must squeeze the Juice, but that's going to be a tall, tall order.

No comments:

Drive! Drive! On Down The Field

Tracking the 2008 Ohio State Buckeyes Football Season